This is a quick walkthrough on how you can easily import multiple SharePoint lists at once, just like the import from folder method.
Start as usual
You start your import like this:
Pass the URL to the folder where your lists are located:
In the next step you would normally choose all the multiple SharePoint lists you want to import:
Some time ago I wrote a blogpost on how to create a function library in Power BI or Power Query (http://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/08/27/how-to-create-and-use-r-function-library-in-power-bi/). There I also presented a way to pull that function code automatically from GitHub.
In that code I used the function Expression.Evaluate to execute the imported text and create functions from it. The inbuilt functions that I’ve used in that code have to be passed as an environment record at the end of the expression. I’ve used #shared for it, as this returns a record with all native M-functions and is quick and easy to write (if environments are new to you, check out this series: https://ssbi-blog.de/the-environment-concept-in-m-for-power-query-and-power-bi-desktop/ ). But as it turns out, this can cause problems when publishing to the service unfortunately (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/208b9365-91e9-4802-b737-de00bf027e2a/alternative-calling-function-with-text-string?forum=powerquery – please leave a vote if you would like to use #shared in the service as well).
Today my husband came with a special task to me: He had to re-wire an old instrument on board of our sailing boat and “lost” the original matching instructions. There were 4 cables to go into 4 different holes, which left him with 24 possible combinations. So he needed a permutations table with all possible combinations that he could print out and tick each combination that he would try subsequently:
To be honest, he was quicker in creating the permutations table manually in Excel than me in Power Query, as it took me a while to develop an easy enough algorithm. But the technique I came out with at the end is so typical “Power Query”-ish, that I’m going to share it here:
Here comes the function code: